Thursday, January 1, 2009

The whole thing

In 2008 I took on a challenge - to read the entire Bible in one year. It seemed daunting. I'd never read the entire Bible, a lot of parts of it but not the whole thing and certainly not at once. So when the church here in Howell took on the project I joined up. And it was a long year.

At first it went well - less than fifteen minutes a day and I was done. But then I'd get a day or two or four behind and I'd have to spend an hour catching up. Okay, do-able. But then summer came and moving and starting school again and suddenly I was a month and a half behind. But I was determined. And guess what? On December 30th I finished. I finished the whole thing.

Each day's reading included a passage from both the Old and New Testament and from the Psalms and Proverbs. The last reading of the year ended on Proverbs 31:25-31 and I smiled as I read the last three verses:

"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive,and
beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her
the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.


I like that I got to end the year with a sense of accomplishment and a sense of encouragement. A woman who fears the Lord is to be praised - I think this is true for all of us who try to follow God's word and His heart. Who try to love and just want to be loved in return. I also like the part telling that her works will bring her praise. I try to live my life as a Christian primarily through works. I know that words can be hollow and fall on deaf ears and I know that a good deed or an outstretched hand or assistance when least expected can mean so much more.

This year I will not read the Bible again, I think I need some time to reflect and I'm going to pick up one of my old daily devotionals again, but I do think I'll keep that proverb with me - and the rest of the teachings and stories I've spent the past 365 days reading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I will not agree on it. I over precise post. Particularly the title attracted me to be familiar with the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.