Saturday, March 1, 2008

How Rude!

I am having a hard time with Leviticus. At first it was a bit repetitive with all the rituals and offerings and measuring everything just so. I was thinking, man God didn't have much to do if he was telling Moses how long the curtains should be. But yesterdays and today's readings were upsetting to me. I know that I have been told all my life that to be a Christian means to be God fearing but to be honest, I have never really feared. Not in the way the people of the old testament had to. I know the ten commandments and while I try to follow all of God's rules, I think that because we have the safety net of Jesus we don't have to fear.

In this reading, God himself sanctioned a man to be stoned to death and explained the rules for slavery. He said it was OK as long as it wasn't his chosen people, wow talk about teachers pet! I am so glad that I have been sticking with this even if I get behind man times. It is really opening my eyes. I have read this all before but never in this context and I am really able to see now what it truly means and what God sending Jesus truly meant to the people of that time and to us.

My question is why. Why did God decide to stop being mean and wanting offerings in a perfect way, people following his every command, eye for an eye, why did he suddenly decide to give is blanketed forgiveness? I know I have to be patient and keep reading but for the first time I feel like reading the Bible has put me in the middle of a novel that I can't wait to finish.

1 comment:

Sarah Knapp said...

Hmmm...interesting questions! And yes, I agree - it's more like a novel I want to read more of which I think is very cool!
Sarah