Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Around in circles

We have kept up pretty well. A few days behind here and there, but still plugging along. Does anyone else feel that the Israelites have been going in circles since they left Egypt? They don't like being in slavery to the Egyptians but when they get the chance for freedom and the land of milk and honey they question the Lord at every turn.

We thought that the bible said that the Israelites wondered in the desert for 40 years. But in Numbers 33 v 38 it says that Aaron died in the fortieth year after the Israelites came out of Egypt. After that we are reading that they are still not at the promise land. Are we adding our years wrong? I guess that might be another question for Chuck.

Another verse that we really connected with is Luke 12 v16. Jesus often withdrew to a lonely places to pray. Jeff and I were thinking that maybe we should do this more often. I don't think we take enough time to quiet our hearts and be still with the Lord. We are going to try and work on that.

Leviticus and Numbers has been a tough read for us. I read all of the daily reading out loud after we eat dinner. Some of my pronunciations are very funny and I have been skipping the run downs on the tribes and the names of the elders. So many rituals for what we would call minor infractions. Boy am I glad the Lord chose to put me in this time and place.

On to Deuteronomy!!!

1 comment:

Sarah Knapp said...

Julia - I really like the part about withdrawing to pray. I need to do more of that too. I am thankful that I am reading the bible though, that often provides a few quiet moments every day, even if it's more on some days:-)

And yes, the rules are pretty intense. I am also interested in the part where God tells us on one page to not kill and then on the other page, He tells us if so and so does this or that, you must kill him or her...Hmmm! Another one for Chuck:-)

Love, Sarah