Sunday, April 6, 2008

New Testement Query

All along I thought it would be the Old Testament that would give me the most to think about having studied the New testament the most. But today I have a question about the New Testament reading. When Jesus and the disciples were in the boat and Jesus was sleeping and the storm comes up....we all know the story. The boys get scared, they wake Jesus up and he calms the storm down, and he says - you of little faith. Today when I was reading that (I was a little behind) I started to think, would they have been ok if Jesus hadn't been woken up? Would the storm have gone away and everything been fine on its own? Now I realize that would not have been a story for the Bible but I was wondering. Were the disciples making a mountain out of a mole hill. Is that what Jesus was telling them, telling us? Is that a given and it just went over my head all the other times I heard it? Just curious.

Also - in regard Deuteronomy 15:16-17 If the servant does not want to leave after seven years the master is to take and awl and push it through his ear lobe into the door, and he will become a servant for life. What on earth is an awl????

Thanks, Angela

2 comments:

Sarah Knapp said...

I think that's one of those times when Jesus wants us to trust in him, trust that He'll take care of things and we're not to worry. He tells us not to worry about a lot of things and I think He wanted the disciples to believe that He was watching out for them, regardless if He was sleeping or not.

He wanted them to have an attitude of expectancy, a faith that did not waver, and just like us, it took the disciples time and many lessons before that found that.

No idea what an awl is but I imagine it looked much like an ice pick;-)

- Sarah

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sarah on the whole trusting God to take care of the "small stuff" I am certainly guilty of trying to fix it on my own and not bother God with it. At this time in my life I am leaning on Him more than ever. I am not in a good place right now.

I do know what an awl is. It is a tool that is used to punch hole in things. It is shaped like a screwdriver but at the end it comes to a point. A leather worker would use it to put the holes in a belt for the buckle to be attached. Yes similar to an ice pick.