Thursday, January 24, 2008

Jacob or Israel????

During our reading last week Jacob's name was changed to Israel. As we have seen this happens a lot in the Bible. During our reading the last few days Jacob/Israel has been called by both names in the same sentence several times. I don't remember this happening before. When the name was changed the person is from then on referred by their new name or "formally known as" . This happens often with the disciples. Do any of you have any insight on this? Jeff and I thought we had it figured out but we proven wrong later in the passage.

Why are the shepherds detestable to the Egyptians? I am going to have to look that one up. If you can help me out that would be great. I sure wish I had Chuck to ask. I may give him a call tomorrow. Of course Jeff and I had a bit of a giggle about Jesus feeding the 5,000 men "besides the women and children". I am so glad that God decided to bring me into this day and age. I can't even imagine what women and children went through at that time.

Julia

2 comments:

Angela said...

I had the same question about the name thing and it gets confusing enough with all the people, then to give one guy two names! What was God thinking? Let me know if you figure anything out.

brickmomma said...

I, too, am glad the women and children were fd. After reading last night, I realized there were two miraculous feedings.....didn't pay attention to that part before.