Saturday, January 5, 2008

Righteous

I looked this word up in the dictionary this afternoon after I finished my reading (I decided I need to read earlier in the day - hopefully in the mornings because I had to go back and reread yesterday's today as I didn't have a clue about these rainbows! I think I fell asleep last night when Ang was reading aloud). Righteous was mentioned several times in different passages for today so I wanted to know more about the word.

It means acting in a just, upright manner; doing what is right; virtuous; fair. For some reason I think the term righteous has a negative connotation in our language. If someone is righteous they're considered too smart for their own good or up on their high horse but that's not what the word really means. God wants us to be righteous - to do what is right.

I am going to work on that this year, doing what is right. I remember when I was in high school we had a poster in our youth room that said something along the lines of what is right isn't always popular. I think this holds truth today. But I'm gonna try...

~ Sarah

No comments: